Plates for Master Bedroom

Plates for Master Bedroom
One of the things I did wrong in the last house was not giving myself a place of respite while the house was under renovation, and I promised myself I wouldn’t repeat that mistake. I knew I wanted the master bedroom to be that place (until we renovate it, too), but other than finding the bed over the summer, I hadn’t done anything to it, and I wasn’t sure how to make it feel good without spending a bunch of money.
But, it’s Christmastime, and Momma needs a place to rest, you know? So what to do? Well, between Rhoda’s awesome decorating with plates tutorial, and Cindy’s adorable bedroom, decorated with plates, you knew it was only a matter of time before I had plates hanging in my bedroom, too! So, yesterday I took a break from all the Christmas crafting to hit the local thrift shop. I know I said no more buying, but my bedroom was just feeling soooooo depressing and bare, and I couldn’t stand it. Used dishware, here I come!

Christmas Ornament Collection

I got so lucky, I found that pretty cream platter with gold wheat sheaves on it (they had a whole set of dishes, but I just got the platter), and then the four matching vintage dishes with rose decals. They have a little indentation like they’re supposed to hold a cup or bowl, but the plate is quite large, larger than a saucer, and the indentation is to one side. They’re probably for soup, but I like to imagine that they are for high tea, leaving enough room for crumpets and watercress sandwiches.
Now I want to swag a chandelier over so it’s directly over the bed instead of hanging over nothing in a random spot. And I still hate the oak closet doors and trim, and I’m still stuck with using file cabinets for night stands. But at least it’s pretty if you don’t look too much at the details. We had gotten a duvet and duvet cover at IKEA a month or so ago, and it’s really fluffy faux down, so the bed is like one big pillow, and I love it. I don’t know why the plates over the bed make such a difference, but they really do. It looks like a princess room. I never knew that I really, deeply needed a room that made me feel like a princess, but apparently, I have discovered, I do! I’m so happy.
Happy Christmas to me! :-)
~Angela :-)

Christmas Ornament Collection

If you enjoyed this post, I would LOVE a comment. I read every one! If you want to keep in touch, consider subscribing to the RSS feed to receive updates in your reader.

Comments

1. The plates look wonderful. I love those large embroidered pillow shams too. Hmm, you’re chandelier is beautiful.
    I recently saw a designer on HGTV use a chandelier in a bedroom and I’ve loved the idea ever since. This is such a pretty little thing-with such big impact. Great price too. Definitely will use this idea. As usual I love your pictures and all your wonderful information. Pleasure to visit.
    Happy holidays!

2. So gorgeous! I am totally jealous! I was at IKEA this week and looked at that exact duvet cover too! Your room looks fabulous!

3. Your room looks very pretty! Those cute plates are part of a little luncheon/snack set, they probably had matching small cups at one time!
    Love how the new home is coming together.

4. The room looks great Angela.
    Those plates are sometimes called tennis plates (by my mum at least) and you are right – you pop your cup-of tea where the indent is and then your little crustless sandwiches or cakes on the plate as well.

5. kari & kijsa says:

Your retreat looks wonderful! The plates are a fun touch (and it was fun reading the comments to learn more about them too!)
    Merry Christmas blessings,
    kari & kijsa

6. kari & kijsa says:

Merry Christmas blessings,
    kari & kijsa

7. kari & kijsa says:

Merry Christmas blessings,
    kari & kijsa

8. kari & kijsa says:

Merry Christmas blessings,
    kari & kijsa

9. Your bedroom looks great! I have been working on mine also. Why is it we neglect our personal space? Always thinking of others.

10. Happy Monday Angela! I too have many plates over a bed but it’s in my guest room! I love to collect them. Lots of fun!

11. Hi Angela The plates look very nice over your bed. I think plates are wonderful to decorate with and they are so versatile. Mary Engelbreit has a neat little book titled PLATES which has lots of stimulating ideas for what to do with plates.
    (I haven’t figured how to show a link using just a word yet, so here’s the website if you wanteed to see it) http://www.amazon.com/Plates-Mary-Engelbreit/dp/0740702017
    I just love china and I have way too many plates and many of them are on the walls. I have resisted putting them in the bedroom so far but they may just appear there one day when I redo the room. It’s over due for some TLC.

12. See, I’m digging your pillow shams. Are those Monograms??

13. Hi, Angela, the plates look terrific! Good for you going thrifting to find all of them. There are some great things out there to find. I love the look & how they mimic the shape of your headboard. So glad I could help with inspiration..makes me feel good!
    Merry Christmas hugs,
    Rhoda

14. Angela,
    Your plates make your room so cozy and inviting. And I can’t believe you found them thrifting…nice job!
    Rose

15. So pretty!! I think the plates mean so much because they appeal to your girly side…which we all need to cater to every now and then! Your bedding, by the way, is drop-dead gorgeous!
    Linda

16. Barbara Jacksier says:

I’m so glad you got in touch with your innner princess!

17. What a beautiful picture of your bedroom! Love the plates!
    Hugs:)
    Carol

18. I love that bedroom. It looks so inviting and cozy.
    If you have a moment to relax (ha ha) please stop by my blog and read a Christmas story I posted.

19. How lovely and restful your bedroom is. Unfortuantely for me The Farmer doesn’t want anything that he refers to as “foofy stuff” which unfortunately for me includes plates and flowered bedspreads. Sigh……

20. So, do tell, does it feel like a respite yet? A place of peace and replenishment? I think it looks great. I think you’ll enjoy knowing that I really like your little lamps and almost wish I had enough room in my bedroom to have a lamp on either side of my bed too.

21. Seeing your bedroom and the beautiful plates gives me motivation to finally hang the plates I was given for my bedroom. I’ve just been intimidated by the idea of pounding holes into my plaster wall. But yours looks so good that I’m going to press forward!

22. It really looks great. Who would have thought that such a small change would make such a big difference. I love your duvet cover too. I think I need an Ikea road trip soon.

23. Oh, that looks lovely. Who woulda thought PLATES in a bedroom??!! They really, really work. :)

24. I too have several thrifted plates that I want to hang in our dining room. Just a quick question — do you use the metal “clamp” type plate hangers for your plates?
    You and your ideas are a constant inspiration to me.
    Thanks!

25. Michele says:

I think the plates look lovely over your stunning bed!!! It’s great to have a room that’s cozy and just a wonderful retreat!
    Michele