How many of you have heard the term “UFO” before? (Any quilters in the house?) Raise your hands…. a few. Well, for those of you who haven’t heard it before, UFO stands for Un-Finished Object. It’s those projects that have been laying around half finished for waaaaaay too long. You know the kind, the ones you had great hopes for but just haven’t carved out the time to finish?
This year I want to finish some. I’m not talking just about quilts, although I have a few of those, I’m talking home and garden projects, too! I definitely have a list of projects that are haunting me, if you know what I mean.
I want to do that for my home and garden projects, too!
So here’s my lists. One for home, one for garden and one for quilts.
These aren’t new projects or projects I’ve been dreaming about. These are projects I already bought/started/tried and haven’t finished. YOU know the ones. They’re also projects that I think I could get done in a month given all the other stuff on my plate.
I’m going to just follow the same rules, same number same deal. The only exception is that some of the garden projects are season-specific, so I reserve the right to swap those so that I’m not, say, moving blueberry bushes in June. You get what I’m saying.
This is the quick and dirty list, I’ll follow up with individual posts that have more detail. For now, I’m jumping in with both feet!!!
- Bedding for the master bedroom. I have the fabric, I have the supplies, I just need to GET IT DONE.
- Bedding for baby girl’s room. Same deal. Fabric and supplies ready to go.
- Bedding for big boy’s room. Ditto, ditto and ditto.
- Paint the dining room hutch/cabinet/thingy. It’s supposed to be white. It’s partially white. It needs to be all the way white (and distressed).
- Convert the cabinet in the bedroom into a glassed bookcase. I think that’s self-explanatory.
- Fix up baby girl’s nightstands. Hinky cabinets from the roadside need new legs, tops and paint.
- Refinish the dining-room table. Fifteen years is too long to wait. Really.
- Paint the master bedroom. It’s SO DRAB in there! Paint is in the garage, and has been for YEARS!
- Fix up the little red cabinet in my studio. I feel like a broken record here, but yes, it’s been waiting for years.
- Refinish the master bed. No, I still don’t know exactly what I’m going to do to it. But something must be done. ANYTHING.
- Rebuild the kitchen wall. Lumber on hand and ready. I’ll explain more later!
- The bathroom. Oh, the bathroom. It’s more than a month’s worth, so I’ll just say get as far as possible.
- Put the effin’ gravel in the effin’ pathway. I refuse to go a third year with the gravel on the driveaway. REFUSE.
- Ditto with the front pathways. There will no longer be clover where the garden path goes.
- Ditto with the allee path. The mower doesn’t fit in there, because it was designed for gravel. Gravel it must be.
- Move the blueberries to the backyard. I need them where I can net them so the birds won’t eat them.
- Put in that forward-facing front step. Please, already.
- Get rid of the rubble pile. Oh, that is SO old and SO embarrassing. I’ll tell you all about it.
- Fix up the garden shed. Because fun as the Magic Shed is, I really do need a place to keep my garden tools.
- Finish the front fence. Yet another case of it’s just been too darn long.
- Replace the heuchera with alchemilla. Trust me. It’s gotta be done.
- Plant the catmint along the front border. Woulda, shoulda, coulda… so this year I will.
- Finish the 2nd side of the allee. How many times can I say it? Waiting for years.
- Built the front arbor. Before the neighbors start wondering why I insist on storing 12′ 4x4s in my sideyard. Really.
- Mini Boat Quilt. A small-scale reproduction of my Dad’s Mom’s last quilt.
- Big Dipper. A great cowboy-style quilt for my son.
- Pink & Blue Star. Cottagey and summery, giant stars on white.
- Cottage Snowball. Another cottage-style half-done quilt.
- Vintage Dresden Plates. Gorgeous, unfinished vintage blocks from eBay.
- Star and Applique Wall Hanging. My first attempt at applique. Wish me luck!
- Leaders and Enders Madness. What you do when you buy thousands (yes thousands) of 1″ charm squares on eBay and they’re all wonky.
- Doll Quilts. Someone subscribed to a doll-quilt of the month club for two years. Oh, yes.
- Pastel Strip Quilt. The original project got scrapped, but the strips need a home.
- Thimbleberries BOM 2007. YES, that says 2007. ‘Nuff said.
- Green and White Square in Square. Even older! Started in 2006. 2006!!
- One of my Bend Projects. I was supposed to go to A Quilter’s Affair in Bend in 2007 and couldn’t. But I have everything I need to do the projects anyway.
Whew! It’s a long list, but dangit, I’m motivated!
What about you? What are your UFO’s?
Oh, and I almost forgot…
Happy New Year!!!