You didn’t think I’d hold out on you after showing the cupcakes with the peanut-butter frosting, did you? I would never do that to you! 🙂 These chocolate cupcakes are my favorite treat, and we make them every few days. Okay, maybe every day. We hadn’t really tried any coconut-flour recipes before, relying mostly on almond flour, but after trying these delicious blueberry muffins from Elena’s Pantry, well, we knew we had to experiment further.
While we do still use almond flour for many things, I find that the texture of coconut flour baked things, especially “quick bread” type things is much closer to the standard wheat variety, so it’s very, very satisfying. We also use honey for the sweetener since I can’t eat refined sugar. We also use olive oil, which many people find startling in a sweet, but the California olive oil we use is so buttery, I think it makes baked goods taste divine.
The one thing that’s really wild about coconut flour recipes is how thin the batters are. For example, check out how thin the batter from these muffins is:
Crazy, right? It never seems like it’s actually going to work. But work it does and the texture is fantastic. For those of you who can’t eat grains, these are the cupcake you’ve been waiting for, pictured here topped with my gluten-free, dairy-free peanut butter frosting recipe. When I don’t have time for frosting, I will often just throw some chocolate chips onto the top of each cupcake before they go in the oven. Mmmmm….
They disappear so fast!! 🙂
So, have I convinced you to give these a try? Here’s the proper recipe so you can try them at home. If you do, make sure you tell me if you tried them with frosting or chocolate chips on top!
We like our sweets a bit on the modest size, so this recipe makes 12 cupcakes that are just to the top of the muffin tin cups. If you are wanting big, tall cupcakes with the crunchy overflow bits around the edges (muffin tops), increase the batter by an additional half batch and you’ll have just the right amount.
- ½ c coconut flour
- ¼ c cocoa powder
- ½ t sea salt
- ½ t baking soda
- 4 eggs
- ½ c coconut milk
- ½ c California olive oil (or an oil of your preference)
- ½ c honey
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and prepare your muffin tin. I usually just oil my tin with olive oil.
- Measure dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Stir with a spoon to incorporate dry ingredients.
- Add coconut milk, olive oil and honey. A neat trick is to measure all three together in a wet cup measure and then pour in. The oil will help the honey into the bowl.
- Add eggs and mix until thoroughly combined. I usually use a hand-crank mixer, but a whisk or powered hand-mixer would also work.
- Divide into 12 muffin tins (a ¼ cup measure works well).
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
There you have it! My favorite chocolate cupcakes. I hope you like them, too!
Do you like cupcakes? What kind is your favorite?